“I feel very humble and little when I try to serve the people of El Paso and the Southwest, knowing the bigness of their hearts,” said Kathleen Moore in a letter to a donor more than 80 years ago. Mrs. Moore was an early leader of one of our area’s first two orphanages, which eventually merged to become the El Paso Center for Children. We are still humbled by the trust our community has placed in us for 101 years. We have continually evolved our services to meet local needs. Our services are all free, all the time. We are flexible and can adapt to how participants want to connect (in-person, telephone, video conference, live chat, etc.)
Our current programs include:
- The only Youth Emergency Shelter serving runaway, homeless, exploited, and foster youth in West Texas – an area of particular need because of the pandemic
- Youth-focused housing services for adults up to 24 years of age who have no families to support them – many have lost their jobs due to COVID-19
- A Drop-In Center and Street Outreach program for youth and young adults ages 11-24 years who are experiencing homelessness or need other supports
- Youth and family counseling through schools, our offices, or at families’ homes, if needed
- Support groups, counseling, and other resources for victims of crime
- Early childhood services including parenting classes, counseling, and case management
- Foster care for children in the state’s custody and for survivors of trafficking
Your support is absolutely critical – this year more than ever. The pandemic has required us to limit our capacity in our emergency shelter, which means we have to turn away kids who need a bed, a hot meal, and a warm welcome.
Our goal is to raise $50,000 to meet critical needs, like moving our shelter to a facility with more beds for teenagers with no other safe place to stay and supporting the youth in our housing programs.
As donors, you become part of our history and part of the future for youth and families facing adversity and overcoming trauma.
We are humbly grateful for your support and hope you and your loved ones stay well during the pandemic.