Although traditional sports training and competitions changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Special Olympics quickly redirected our programming to a virtual platform through a new program,S.O.Connected. During this difficult time for individuals with intellectual disabilities who are most susceptible to change, depression and feelings of isolation, S.O. Connected became a lifeline to the friends, teammates, and coaches that the athletes made prior to the pandemic. It also opened up the opportunity to meet new friends through many of the activities that are hosted on Facebook live, Twitter and other social media that the athletes are familiar with and use. Activities, such as exercise classes, nutrition and healthy eating, and virtual competitions, are just some of the activities offered.
Although Special Olympics Texas has had to put our usual sports training and competitions on hold for a while, our goals to serve the athletes remains the same, including the following:
• Continue to provide physical exercise opportunities that will positively impact health, mood and anxiety.
• Emphasize sports training to help athletes maintain a healthy weight.
• Offer athletes the opportunity to participate in activities that enhance their self-esteem and help them see that they can achieve goals that they set for themselves.
• Encourage athletes to make new friends and socialize in an environment that is accepting and
• Travel opportunities (once we are in the ‘new normal’) allow athletes to gain life experiences and skills that will positively impact all areas of their lives.
• Encourage interested athletes to join Athlete Leadership Programs that offer athletes
opportunities to get involved in decision-making, public speaking, and leadership roles in their communities.
Our volunteers are the lifeline of Special Olympics programs. Visit our website for a list of volunteer opportunities.
Special Olympics sports are aquatics, athletics (track & field), basketball, bocce, bowling, cycling,equestrian, flag football, figure skating, golf, gymnastics, kayaking, power lifting, roller skating sailing,softball, soccer, speed skating, tennis, triathlon, table tennis, and volleyball.
On behalf our our Special Olympics athletes, families and volunteers, thank you for your generous donation!